Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Removing Support from a Tank Print

This post shows the sequence of events as I strip the support structures generated by Simplify3D from on of the tank models.  The model is actually that of a combat carrier but they run with tanks!

I use Simplify3D as my slicer and it does really good work with support structures.  Still, I find that you need to examine the support built for each model and adjust as needed.   In the case of this carrier I needed to remove the support around the heads of the driver and gunner.



 I have also found that prints done in PLA can be cleaned up but expect a fight!   Finally notice how the support stuff hangs out from the side of the model.  This is a configurable option and really helps with cleanup.

1. Starting Point

2. Starting to Strip

3. Halfway Through the Bottom - You Need to Start Here!

4. Bottom all Stripped

5. Ready to Strip Right Side

6. Right Side Stripped

7. Ready to Strip the Left Side

8. Left Side Stripped

9. Ready to Strip the Front

10. All Stripped
I used one tool for the above with that being the small needle nose pliers that I dremel'ed down to have a very fine tip.   I could have gotten a lot of the support material off with a small screw driver and my fingers but am ok with the pliers!

No comments:

Post a Comment