Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

3D Hubs Pricing Model

Below is a table that illustrates the various resolutions that can be selected for my printers on 3D Hubs.  This chart makes the relationship between the cost of a print and the selected resolution obvious in the terms of time being money!


To choose the appropriate resolution first select the material, in the below case, PLA.  Once PLA is selected, and you click on color, you will then see a list that has colors separated by a label that indicates the resolution.  The first entry for black would be the highest resolution, and most expensive, with a layer height or 0.06mm.

I will print in whatever resolution you order...however...it is hugely important that you understand the impact of layer height on how your print will look!   Please see this post for pictures of various resolutions.  In general the lowest two resolutions should be avoided for anything other than a very basic draft, or in some cases, for a large and simple model.

Finally, I am interested in specialty filaments but have only had an excuse to work with one, that being Colorfab XT which is a carbon fiber reinforced type of filament.   If you are interested in some other flavor please let me know as I may want to try it for the experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment