Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Major Surgery on a Build Plate

The good news is that Wanhao has made some great strides in reacting to feedback on the version 1.1 and 1.2 printers. Cooling and packaging in particular but a host of other things as well. The bad news is that they seem to be sending at least some customers build plates that are concave and painted with something slippery.

This is when I knew that I had a problem. Build plate should have had stuff on it! 100% casualty rate.


So I did a little bit of sanding. Clearly something is wrong here as only the corners and edges are being touched.

So I did a lot of sanding...by hand...with 80 grit paper. This is where I realized that getting rid of my 240 to 120 volt power supply and my yankee sander was going to be an issue. So I ordered a Black & Decker Mouse Sander.



See anything funny about this print? Since I had some down time I printed a build plate just to see if it would work. Extrusion lines!

Mine was printed using PET and it actually worked pretty well. Prints stayed on until I wanted to take them off.

Finally got the sander and a pack of papers from 60 grit to 800 grit and I walked through each one, a couple in come cases.

After hand sanding with wet emery paper from 1000 to 7000 we had 100% stickage. There is a problem on the left side but not a build plate issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment