Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Continued Saga of Robot Power Issues

My legacy of power issues continues but I think I have solved at least one.  When the 'bot initializes it fires up the servos for the pan and tilt sensor stalk.   The current draw from this action has been causing the RPi to crash. 

Reading the documentation is probably a good thing. Turns out the Explorer PCB has a separate power supply for servos that delivers them their own 5v supply 'dioded' down from the batteries.  Go figure.  Unfortunately the first time I hooked it up I managed to make things smoke as I connected what I thought where "+" and "-" connections to the power rail for the servos.   The two pins were meant for a jumper so what I did was install a short.   Smoke is not good but nothing seems to have actually tipped over which is surprising at best (how does something smoke but still everything works?).   The servo's are now isolated from the RPi and that is a good thing.

I have still not received the new Lithium Ion batteries that I have ordered to power the RPi independent of the rest of the 'Bot.  I did, however, get a new power regulator and have installed that to further isolate the RPi from power glitches.   This seems to help but I need to complete my battery upgrades (still waiting for some new nicad rechargeable's as well) to be confident that my power issues are behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment