Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Monday, March 18, 2013

Arch Linux on the Raspberry Pi - Part 2

It took some fumbling around as I wanted to see if I could get Gnome to work but decided it either would not or would be just to hard.   I don't need it anyway!   So I asked Google what the best GUI was for Arch Linux on the RPi and he/she told me to install LXDE - Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment.  

I got the steps below from a great recipe provided by sudo!Xanthippe for an LXDE install. Here are the steps that we need condensed from his tutorial:

pacman -Syu
pacman -S xorg
pacman -S xorg-xinit xorg-twm xterm


At this point sudo!Xanthipp added a user but we have already done that in the previous post.

I also installed two different VNC servers, tightvnc and tigervnc but am not sure about either at this point.  Both seem to crash now and again and both need post installation customization that might be user error.

At this point I feel that I have a pretty good base image replicating most of what comes in Rasbian "Wheezy" (plus some essentials).   Given this I am going to start forking a couple different images.   One for the 'bot of course (that is the title of the blog after all) and another for my BirdCam / RodentCam / WaterFowlCam (that is actually getting more attention right now)

On to Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment