Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Monday, March 25, 2013

RPi as a Remote Control for a Canon DSLR - Part 2

As with many others, I have had problems with gphoto2 running on the RPi due to USB issues.   It works for a single capture, if that, and then dies.   There is a lot of discussion out there about solutions with the idea of resetting the USB Bus high among them.   Others may have had success with this but I can not seem to get it to work.   I downloaded the code from this thread in the RPi forum, got it compiled, but on execution, could not get it to work as discussed!

I have, however, come up with another idea courtesy of angryelectron.  Their observation was that the problem occurs from opening and closing the camera as gphoto2 does for every transaction.   If you do a bunch of stuff between the open and the close you don't have a failure (until you do another open/close).  

The above suits me fine as I was not planning on using gphoto2 command line but was really looking to use libgphoto2 from Python via a wrapper developed by alexdu / piggyphoto.

My initial experiments are positive though I am still encountering failures though not until a significant number of previews and captures have been done.   I am going to continue to head down this direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment