Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Pushing the 3D Printing Resolution Boundary

For my Ultimaker 2+ anyway!  

My last, honest, post of a 3D Printed AFV just for the sake of showing print quality. Namely because I can not do much better. This was printed on an Ultimaker 2+ at a resolution (layer height) of 40 microns using a 250 micron nozzle (for sharp details). The print took almost 14 hours. My printer is capable of 20 micron resolution but as you would expect that would take over a day!
Even at this resolution you can see artifacts of the printing process though they are pretty tiny. With a naked eye, and looking from 12 inches away, you can just make out some layering, and I mean just.
My conclusion would be that a consumer 3D printer can produce an amazingly detailed print if you have the right printer and a lot of patience. Still not something that you are going to buy, plug in, and press a button to make work by any means though!
I am now printing an Archer to go with this tank as I was informed that the Valentine XI is a command tank for an Archer AT unit (and the Archer looks like a cool print as well).  


No comments:

Post a Comment