Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Another Crazy Assed Project - A Ship

I get project ideas from a couple of the groups to which I belong on Facebook.   During my tanks phase it was from the Flames of War communities.  More lately I have been doing N-Scale bridges and the like so it has been a couple N-Scale groups.

A member of one of those groups suggested the idea of an N-Scale ship.  Since I have done a bridge and a scene with a bridge might need a ship and I like ships.  Part two of the suggestion was to have the ship be remote controllable.  Now that will obviously require electronics and I like electronics....so.....I decided to do it!

I don't have a full scale prototype as I found a model that I liked while I was searching for a prototype of a small freight steamer of about 100' long:


This is a model that is part of a layout called the "Wrightsville Port Waterfront Layout".  I figured that since my work is all non commercial, and that I am giving them full credit, and that I left a note on their blog, that they will not mind my stealing their idea!

Here is what my version of this ship is starting to look like.  This is a first assembly of a draft print so excuse some of the obvious issues (some of which are hard to see due to the colour of the plastic)!




As I mentioned above the model is of a ship with a length of around 100 feet.  This has resulted in a model that is about 200mm long and 40mm wide.  Into that hull needs to go a circuit board of electronics, a motor, a servo, a bluetooth card for communications, and a battery.  Here is what the prototype electronics are looking like.  The controller and its blue tooth card are on the left.


Finally, the circuit board that will go inside the ship is coming along as well.   I have a little more to talk about in regards to the circuit board but that can wait for the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment