Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Building a Weather Station - Part 1

I have wanted to build a weather station for a while but have never had a location to put one. I still don't, in fact where we are now is the worst possible location due to the surroundings, but I'm hoping that I can build one for one of the local boating places.  Actually I hope I can find a home for the one I've already built!

 Here is a diagram of what I have built.
  1. Instruments include (wind speed, wind direction), (rainfall), (temperature, humidity), and (barometric pressure).  Wiring = (4 wire RJ11), (2 wire RJ11), (Grove Cable), (Onboard)
  2. Instruments are connected to a board from SwitchDoc called the Weather Plus that has a microprocessor with a Wifi adapter (programmed using the Arduino IDE).
  3. Weather data is available either via an Http interface or via a stream from the onboard serial port.  I elected to integrate with both to test reliability.
  4. A Raspberry Pi Zero is used to interrogate the Weather Plus board to feed an instance of Weewx, a popular open source weather station package.
  5. A webcam could also be supported in a follow-on phase.
  6. Weewx integrates, out of the box, with both the Weather Underground and with Windguru.
  7. Additional resiliency might be provided, in a follow-on phase, by adding a monitor capable of power cycling the entire platform (Arduino with a relay)
 The most challenging aspect of the configuration is building for resiliency. This is what I am testing now:
  • Single Http (Read) Error
    • Wait one minute, try again
    • Cleared on next good read
  • Five Http Errors
    • Reset WeatherBoard
    • Sleep for five
    • Cleared in ten minutes
  • Five more Http Errors
    • Reboot
  • Five more Http Errors (Phase 2)
    • Power cycle WeatherBoard
    • Sleep for five
  • Handled by a "Monitor"
  • Watch time stamp of “lastActive” file created by toWeewx on every update created
    • If it does not change in 15 minutes reboot (5 for the serial interface)
    • Cant use the feeder file between toWeewx and Weewx as it is touched by both sides

3 comments:

  1. Great job! Consider using a WatchDog timer (like ours) to reset the Weather Plus board and the Raspberry Pi if either goes away!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really great. I'm assuming since it is labeled Part 1 that you will be willing to share how you are getting OurWeather & WeeWX talking?I'm not a programmer, but my kids and I are wanting to do the same, but need a jump start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. lightweight portable massage table

    ReplyDelete