Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

New 3D Printer Needed Here!

I have decided that I want, nay need, a new 3D printer to replace the Prusa I3 that I built some time ago.   My requirements for this new printer are as follows:
  • Be able to print ABS as well as PLA.   The Prusa I3 can print both but the 12V build platform, combined with it being an open printer, makes it problematic.
  • Be enclosed.   Making it both quieter and better able to deal with ABS.
  • Be quieter. See above!
  • Be capable of easily printing .1mm resolution.  The Prusa I3 can do this but it takes care and feeding.
  • Be more dependable.  The Prusa I3 has been reasonably dependable but it seems there is always something that I am doing to it or that it is doing to me!
  • Have two extruders.  At first so I can print ABS and PLA without switching reels but ultimately so I can print with dissolvable supports.
  • Include more ease of use features.  Such as the two extruders but also including a more easily adjustable build platform and easy loading extruders.
  • Large build platform.  Large enough to print any of the cases that I have designed.
I do actually, really, have a reason for needing a new printer.  Honest.  I am ready to start selling a couple of my designs and while print quality on the Prusa I3 would probably be acceptable I want what I "might" sell to be better.  Obviously the dependability requirement plays into this as well.

In my next post I will talk about the printers that I am considering.

No comments:

Post a Comment