Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Bailey Bridge Design Background

Once I decided to do the Bailey bridge I hit Google and look to for pictures and plans if possible. There was actually more than I expected to find. The challenge was finding any two that seem to agree with each other in terms of assembly. Given how long this general design has been around I guess this is understandable.

I decided to make my own hybrid to some extent in an attempt to meet my goals of making it 3D printable, as close as possible to the real thing, and easy (sort of) to assemble at 1:100 scale.  Obviously there are a number of compromises in the design to make this possible!


This illustration shows the key elements of the bridge.  There are a number of them that got lost on the way to 1:100 scale such as the End Post, Sway Brace, and the rest of the smaller parts.  The Raker got translated into Braces that support the Panel and are large enough to print and handle.  The Stringer left the building when I wisely decided to print a one piece road bed rather than one built from components (honest, I did think about it)!
These are various configurations that can be built from the basic building blocks.  I can support the Single-Single and Double-Single but the others would require some additional work and/or parts.

 My Base Plate vaguely resembles this one!

The Walk Way does not appear in that many of the diagrams but does in pictures.  I liked this one.

Transition from the first build to the second looks pretty good.  Am not sure what to do about the ramp to the walk way but that is the only issue remaining in terms of design change.  A little construction boo-boo in that one corner is a little higher than the others!
 First build...
...second build.  In the image viewer you can go back and forth between them... :-o
 Detail on the ramp we need to do something with.
 Note the Base Plate.  Looks just like the full scale version (not)!
 Detail on the road bed.
Thats it until the build instructions and then this model will be on sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment