Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Beta Build for the 1:100 Scale Bailey Bridge Model

Three people from the Flames of War group on Facebook have volunteered to do a test build of the 1:100 scale version of the Bailey Bridge.  Their kits have been printed and are going into the post today.

Obviously I want feedback on the Assembly Instructions on Instructables and general feedback on the model but I also wanted to call attention to the following area in particular:

  • In step 3 of the instructions I mention cleaning of the parts.  The four panels that you need have some particularly bad oozing.  This is a new issue as the part used to print cleanly.  Rather than wait while I try to figure it out I have sent you the kit but have also sent spare panels so you can experiment with cleaning with a little less risk than if you only have four.  These spares would not be the case for a normal kit.  There are also a number of spares for the Rakers and Bracing Frames.  I expect the normal kit would have one spare of each,  Anyway, the feedback that I am wanting is to know how the cleanup went.
  • Each of you has asked for a ramps set.  I would be interested in knowing what you did with this part of the kit as I don't have the game board to marry up the bridge so was winging it as to what would be needed!  Obviously interested in whatever changes you suggest!
Thanks again for the help.  If you could use the comments section below for feedback it would be helpful for sharing between yourselves and as a record for future builders!


  1. Hello everyone, I'm one of the lucky few that have been selected to take part in the test build for this project. I selected the scale model version of the project for my assembly and am looking forward to receiving my bridge from the postman... Shall report back once I've got into the build

  2. Am sorry this won't help the three test builders but I think that the cleanup needed for the panels can be avoided by lowering the temperature at which I start extruding. My normal practice is to start at 215c and then lower to 200c incrementally across the first layers to help with print adhesion. Normally this is ok but the way the panels, as opposed to the bracing frame for example, are being sliced for printing is resulting in the oozing. Anyway, I hope that it is easy to clean and expect that I can print future versions cleanly.